I know you will all have a few of your own but these are the nine most common complaints given to me as feedback from your dates!
1. Punctuality, don’t be late and if you are, phone your date or the venue, it is humiliating to be left wondering if you have been stood up.
2. Money. Seriously, keep your cash conversations to a zero level and enjoy your date together. If you want to talk about ambitions avoid chatting about your burning desire for a Lear jet and a house in the Hamptons. Money, contrary to many impressions doesn’t impress at first, it simply polarizes views. It can leave your date feeling very uncomfortable either way. Instead always keep to something affordable; after all, you are spending time with someone, not their wallet or purse. If you do happen to be a millionaire, keep that until your 4th date!
3. Clothing, define over the phone what and where the date will be then dress accordingly. Make an effort, ladies to look feminine, men to be well groomed, first impressions do count and you only get one chance to make them.
4. Lying, you will be found out eventually and really what is the point? Anyone you meet through Elegant will be professional but this isn’t a job interview, just don’t lie!
5. Ex partners, yes we all have them and yes mention them but not all night! At best it will appear you are not ready to date, at worst you will offend your date who will want to be valued in their own right and not as a substitute. No one wants to be second best.
6. You are on a date; this means you should only have eyes for your date. Enough said.
7. Mobile phones should be switched to silent.
8. Elegant is not designed to be a dating agency, we are an introductions agency, our members are ladies and gentlemen. Courtship is important; we are looking for friendships leading to a long term relationship, appropriate behaviour physically would be a kiss goodnight on the first date. Anything beyond this may cause offense.
9. Getting drunk. Here lays the true path to disaster. Now 99% of the reason behind this is nerves. Many people are far better with a drink inside them than without. It’s a relaxant; it calms nerves and fears and promotes a feeling of confidence. In that sense, a drink is good for dating, the problem is that it doesn’t end there. If you go too far in the early stages of dating you can simply end up undoing all your good work. If you are nervous you can end up drinking too much and making a fool of yourself. So whilst drinking can be fine, leave it out at this stage of your dating game plan.