Twelve Treats of Christmas
This is my first single Christmas, I’m not looking forward to it, everywhere I look there are poster perfect families, Mum, Dad and 2.4 children, or that’s how it feels anyway. I know that lots of singles are migrating for the couple’s festive period. As a holiday is not logistically or financially possible I will be trying to get into the Christmas spirit without drinking too much of it.
So in a bid to de –Humbug I will be having 12 treats of Christmas, just a small treat a day to keep the blues away.
1. Get the car valeted, arriving alone will feel more Cinderella and less sad act in a clean car, grab a coffee while someone else does all the hard work.
2. Buy a range of fabulous magazines, choose your favourite and get a subscription for the year, you will get lovely goodies for ordering the subscription, something to look forward to each month and it saves you money across the year.
3. Ladies get that luxury designer handbag, men this year is nag free, grab the gadget you want but don’t need. ( this year I have no idea what it is , bliss)
4. Ladies buy yourself underwear that fits and makes you feel sexy, this year you don’t have to try on any misguided red and black, badly fitted pom- pomd atrocity, men you can have socks that are not novelty, patterned or play music.
5. Feel great by doing something great, I recommend a gift purchase in Oxfam, a goat for a village somewhere remote, all the good deed, none of the effort.
6. Men and women get a great haircut, ladies get your nails done, men if you need a new razor get one, this is sociable season, and you may not want to go out but once you are you will feel more attractive and confident if you are well groomed.
7. A local panto or carol concert will get you feeling festive, resistance is futile, if you are a lapsed church goer there is something magical about evening carols, a sense of belonging. If you are not religious being able to giggle at other people’s children in panto is naughtily evil, just remember you aren’t allowed to film any for UTube.
8. Food meant as starters makes great treat meals for one, posh and tasty but not seen the other 11 months of the year, have a splurge and re pack into freezer bags , giving you treats for months to come.
9. Go to the busiest shopping centre and sit in a cafe, people watching everyone else stressing what to buy for partners and partner’s families, sip your coffee and feel relieved that you are not ant like busy this year.
10. A gym or club membership for the year is a positive and healthy choice of treat, bought now and with great intentions you can burn off any comfort food consumed in December whilst ogling other singles in January.
11. Shoes, ladies I recommend look at, stand up not for walking in shoes, men you can buy trainers that look identical to the other pairs but come with leaflet, technical information and three digit price tag.
12. Enjoy Christmas with your family, your friends and people you choose to spend the time with, chances are next year will be an emotional blackmail of negotiations and compromises as you and your new partner struggle to decide which set of parents you spend time with.
I hope I have made you smile and given you a few ideas for surviving santatime, with love and best wishes, xxxxxx Louisexxxxxxx